View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 04:50 AM

Hi Linda,

I am so glad that you took Cisco's problem seriously and started training him.
As for the Alpha training, to be honest with you I don't use it myself because I have established my relationship with my dogs and foster dogs by different methods. However, it would be a good training if the dog shows some aggression and the owner does not have much experience with dogs. The reason it works, in my opinion, is it is well structured and easy to follow.

You should implement all the practices at once: eat before your dog, go out the door before your dog, not allowing your dog on the furniture, etc. Every one of the rules require the owner's commitment and consistency, along with basic obedience that your dog cooperate, for example,

1) In order to eat before you feed your dog, you will have to make your dog wait, or contain him somewhere - this can be a training of Wait by itself.

2) In order to go through the door first, you will have to make your dog wait - again this is a training of Wait.

3) Not allowing on the furniture, you will have to tell him to "Off" the furniture. He will have to actually get off at your command.

There are more of the Alpha training and some moderators have listed up all the things need to be done somewhere so I am not going through all of them.

Like this, if the owner starts to implement the Alpha training, not only the dog's life will be more structured but also the owner starts to pay more attention to the dog and to observe him more. This is the key of the training. First, you need to know your dog well. That's why kjd suggested earlier you should keep a journal. When you obeserve your dog's behaviors, you will see some kind of patterns. Every behavior of your dog has a reason, might not make sense to you but perfectly making sense to him. Once you start training your dog, your relationship with your dog will definitely improve and you will find it very fascinating (at least I do).

When you train your dog using treats, use a training pouch and don't hold a treat in your hand. If you have treats in your hand, the dog's attention goes to the treats and not to the command. Treats should be rewards, not bribes.

To answer your question "when i fed him he left the item away from his bowl so I was able to pick up the object without him seeing me. Is this ok or am I still tricking him, I want to get this right."

This is just fine because Cisco has lost interest in the object so he doesn't need to guard it any longer. You did a good job ignoring him although he whined to get your attention. Keep up with the good job

Last edited by MaxHollyNoah; 01-10-2010 at 04:58 AM.